News

The Firefinch shake-up and other recent executive movements

Firefinch

Keep up with the latest executive movements across the mining sector, featuring Firefinch, Austral Resources, Ten Sixty Four and more.  

****  

Firefinch has announced Michael Anderson has left his position as managing director, with Andrew Taplin appointed as acting chief executive officer and Alistair Cowden as executive chair.

Cowden thanked Anderson for his contribution during his 14-month tenure at Firefinch, which has seen the company advance its Morila gold mine in Mali towards a production target of at least 100,000 ounces (oz) in 2022, with intention to ramp up to 150,000oz in 2023 and 200,000oz in 2024.

Morila produced 10,874oz of gold in the first quarter of 2022, meeting guidance, and was aiming for between 17,000–20,000oz of output in the second quarter.

Recently appointed directors Liz Wall and Naomi Scott have also submitted their resignations.

****  

Austral Resources has announced the company and chief executive officer (CEO) Steve Tambanis have mutually agreed to not renew his contract. Dan Jauncey will remain as executive director and take on the CEO role from August 1.

Tambanis joined Austral in July 2021 and has made a significant contribution to the commencement of mining at Anthill and initiation of Austral’s exploration and development strategy.

“Steve’s record as chief executive officer of Austral Resources during the period has been exemplary,” Jauncey said.  “The aggressive commitment to mine life extension with over $10m dedicated to an extensive exploration and the drilling program is a testament to his work with the team.”

****  

Ten Sixty Four managing director Paul Ryan Welker has given the company six months’ notice of his resignation. Until a replacement is appointed, executive chair Jeffery McGlinn will continue to lead the company’s strategic objectives.

Ten Sixty Four, which Welker co-founded, was acquired by Medusa Mining in February. Welker was then appointed as managing director of Medusa Mining in March before the company changed its name to Ten Sixty Four in May.

Represented by its Co-O Gold Mine in the Philippines, Ten Sixty Four is also exploring Queensland’s Drummond Basin. The company’s guidance for the 2022 financial year is between 87,000–90,000 ounces of gold production.

****  

Galina Kraeva has been appointed as chief financial officer (CFO) of Alumina Limited. Employed by the company since October 2012, Kraeva has been interim CFO since the start of 2022. Prior to joining Alumina Limited, Kraeva was a partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC).

Alumina Limited CEO Mike Ferraro said Kraeva was the perfect person for the permanent CFO role.

“I am very pleased that Galina will join Alumina Limited as chief financial officer,” he said. “I believe she will contribute significantly in the Alumina executive team and as a member of the AWAC Strategic Council.”

Alumina Limited owns 40 per cent of Aloca World Alumina and Chemicals (AWAC) with the remaining 60 per cent owned by Alcoa. AWAC is the world’s largest alumina producer and also the world’s largest bauxite miner.

Previous ArticleNext Article

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER
Close
Send this to a friend